Cybercrime is on the rise in the digital age, and the days when a simple password was enough to keep your accounts completely safe are long behind us. As user security is of great importance to us, Estateguru recently incorporated Google Authenticator into our security protocols. Google authenticator allows for more secure and faster access to your account, and is an improvement on two-factor authentication via sms. We highly recommend you enable it.
For more information and a quick tutorial on how to set up and use the app on the Estateguru, read on.
What is Google Authenticator?
Once enabled, Google Authenticator will generate a unique code, which you will need to enter during the login process. The app will generate the code even when offline, ensuring your account is secure and accessible at all times.
Using Google Authenticator on Estateguru is straightforward and secure. For other transactions needing additional verification, both our site and your app will produce a time-limited, six-digit code, which you will need to enter on the site in order to login or complete certain transactions.
Google Authenticator is more secure than SMS, which is susceptible to hacking and telecom vulnerabilities. The app’s codes are independent of your phone number and network, offering secure access anywhere, even when you are not connected to the internet.
A Quick Step By Step Guide to using the App
- Download the Google Authenticator app from the App Store or Google Play Store, or via your Estateguru account (under security in your user settings. See step 8 below). Open the security section of your Google account using a browser.
- Select “2-Step Verification”.
- Follow the instructions to display a QR code in your browser.
- Launch the Google Authenticator app on your phone.
- Scan the QR code shown in your browser using the app, then select “Next”.
- Input the code from your Google Authenticator app and select “Verify”.
- To enable the app for Estateguru, login to your account, and click on your name at the top right of the screen, then click on investor profile in the drop-down menu. Click on user settings at the bottom left of the page.
- Open your security settings and scroll down to the section on 2 step verification methods. If you don’t already have the app, you will have the option to download it for android or iOS.
- Click on ‘use app’, under the Google Authenticator app section in your browser. Enter your password and scan the QR code that appears using the Google Authenticator app on your phone.
- The app will generate a pass code. Click next under the QR code in your browser and you will be prompted to enter the code. Once the code is entered, you’re all set and Estateguru will ask you for a newly generated code from the app whenever you login from a new device or browser.
We highly recommend the Google Authenticator app, for faster and more secure access to your account. If you are unable to use Google Authenticator, or would rather not, you can also use Duo Mobile on the platform.